Grandma B's First Year Survival tips for New Grandma's





My gorgeous little grandson has just turned one and what an amazing year it has been.

I have to admit that when I first heard that I was going to be a grandparent, the word grandma made me cringe.  It sounded so old.  Even at sixty I wasn't sure that I was ready to become a grandma, I wanted to keep hold of my youth.  Up until then I hadn't really thought about getting old. It really made me think about my own mortality and the natural process of life.

I also couldn't believe that one of my children was going to have a baby.  What happened to all those years?  Just a short time ago she was busy chasing pigeons.  How was she going to cope with pregnancy, birth, and the life of a mummy.

Sophia, Soli's mummy, aged two, on holiday in Portugal

All those feelings disappeared on meeting Soli and being a grandma is the best thing ever! 🌝💗

 I remember all the worry and anxiety of becoming a new mum. But a grandma has all the fun bits and none of the anxiety.  Watching my daughter interacting and caring for Soli, made me realise that I was a good mum and actually got it right.

I've learnt a lot about the role of being a grandparent, what to do and what not to do!  Time moves on and child care practice has changed over the last thirty years.  As a grandma you don't want to be stepping on any ones toes, falling out and ending up totally miserable, so here are my first year, grandma survival tips:


Remember that the baby is not yours and you really will have to give him back.  But you will soon get the hang of this!   Because grandma's are for the fun times Yay!


Accept and respect his parents decisions, and keep it zipped.



Dummies! Just go with it.  Bottle feeding, who cares as long as baby gets fed,  sleep routine, whatever you feel is good for you.  😪  Thousands of Face Book pictures, not good!  One day you may even get sued by your own grandchild!


If you're one of the army of grandparents involved with childcare, only offer what you can give. Never feel guilty about wanting a life for yourself.  That cruise was meant for you.




Keep your house safe.  It's a long time since you looked after young children so you need to find those extra eyes, remember! the ones in the back of your head.






Do a bit of research on the foods that babies can have and those that should go no where near him.





  Exercise and look after yourself, playing is such hard work and you will need lots of energy.  Trying something new is also good for the brain!





Always remember to share with the other grandparents, your turn next Christmas! 😢


Don't spend a fortune, easier said than done, I know!  Less presents more presence.  I like that!  Get down and play ( All that exercise should help to make you nimble)  So you won't have any problems getting back up.    Share stories together, sing silly songs, go for walks, join a toddler group.





Finally, break the rules now and again, because that's what grandma's do. 😏💗




Comments

Popular Posts